Portobello Mushroom Pasta


I will admit I had a former mushroom phobia. It came from a bad case of food poisoning, how ever I am proud to admit that I have been reformed. I now eat mushrooms on a regular basis. This recipe is based on a class I took on how to make homemade ravoli. Now I was over zealous and decided to try to make ravoli at home, let me tell you its alot easier with the 6 hands in class from the other people than the 2 hands I had to work with at home. So needless to say it didn't turn out as planned and I was left with chopped up mushrooms that I had to do something with so I changed the filling recipe to make a sauce.

3 Large or 4 Average size Portobello Mushrooms
1/2 cup white wine or alittle more (use what ever you want I happen to like Viognier so that is what I use)
1/2 - 3/4 of a cup of Real Parmesan cheese
2 tbs of half and half or heavy cream (I have also used ricotta or marscapone basically whatever is in the house just to make the sauce creamy)
Olive oil to coat pan
Salt and Pepper to taste

Dice the mushrooms and grate the cheese
Put enough olive oil in a skillet to generously coat the bottom of the pan and put it in on medium high heat and wait until the oil starts to smoke.
Then add in the mushrooms and cook until brown and tender maybe 5 - 7 minutes. Take the mushrooms and put them in the blender or food processor. Cover them with the wine it should almost cover the mushrooms, so depending on the volume of the mushrooms the wine amounts will change. Blend until creamy. Pour the mushroom wine mixture back in the pan and add the cheese, half and half, salt and pepper. Cook until combined.

Serve over Pasta or Chicken and Pasta.

Popular Posts