First on a long list of choices


I have been working on what I should be putting in my Christmas baked goods box and ever since I have started to feel better it has been my mission. So these were first on the list to try, and boy were they a good start. They reminded me of these cookies that my mom made when I was little. They were just sweet enough and had just enough flavor and crispness to be a great holiday cookie. They also can be made in advance and keep so since it normally is a 3 day affair in making the boxes that would be nice. So I have a few more to try out and see if they should make the cut. I can't wait for Christmas, its my favorite holiday even though I really don't like snow or cold weather, go figure. So testing all of these recipes will just put me in the Christmas spirit.


Molasses Spice Cookies

2 cups of AP Flour
1 1/2 teaspoons of baking soda
1 teaspoon of cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon of nutmeg
1/2 teaspoon of salt
1 1/2 cups of sugar divided
3/4 cup of unsalted butter, room temperature
1 large egg
1/4 cup of molasses

Preheat oven to 350 degrees. In a medium bowl combine the flour, baking soda, cinnamon, nutmeg and salt and set aside. In a small shallow bowl, place 1/2 of the sugar. In the bowl of an electric mixer beat the butter and the remaining cup of sugar until combined. Add in the egg and molasses and mix until combined. Reduce the speed to low, gradually mix in the flour mixture until a soft dough forms. Form tablespoon balls and roll in the bowl full of sugar. Arrange on a parchment paper lined baking sheet about 3 inches apart. They spread quite a bit. Bake for 10-15 minutes, until the ends of the cookies are just firm. Cool for 1 minute on the baking sheet then completely on cooling racks.

Adapted from Chewy Molasses Spice Cookies by Martha Stewart.

Popular Posts